Open your eyes on science!
Taking a camera, shooting a picture is an easy deal. What about going further? What about using the pictures to discover science?
From a water drop to a rainbow, from a bubble to a geyser, from smoke to light, from microscopy to astronomy, everywhere, we are facing scientific phenomena. MILSET aims to give you an opportunity to freeze them for eternity!
When Art meets Science
The MILSET STEAM Photo Contest (SPC) aims at creating a leeway for youth to creatively express what they observe within science, in pictures.
Goals and Objectives
Engage youth in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and the arts(STEAM) by:
- Exploring visual aspects of STEAM through the art and science of photography;
- Capturing images to demonstrate and communicate STEAM concepts and phenomena;
- Applying STEAM techniques to the capture of digital images.
Build a collection of STEAM images by youth from around the world to be used by MILSET and its member organizations.
Youth between the ages of 13 and 25 as of [closing date of contest] are eligible.
MILSET global, regional and national office staff and volunteers, contest judges and their immediate family members are not eligible.
Each contestant may submit a maximum of three images for judging. An internet entry form must be completed;
- Any image that demonstrates, communicates or explains a scientific, technological, engineering, or mathematical concept or phenomenon is eligible.
- The internet entry form requires the contestant to describe briefly the concept or phenomenon associated with each image.
- Images must be the sole work of the contestant.
- Images must be captured using a digital camera – images created in software are not permitted
- Processing, including cropping and adjustments to correct or enhance exposure or colours, is acceptable; the addition, removal or distortion of significant content is not permitted.
- Images must not include a watermark or descriptive text.
Description to be included with the image
- Name and surname
- City and Country
- Email address
- Title (maximum of 50 characters)
- Brief plain language (English) description of the science concept or phenomena depicted in the image. The description should be understandable for youth/students and the public. (Maximum 300 characters)
- Colour or grayscale
- Minimum resolution: 2000 pixels wide
- Maximum file size: 5MB
- jpeg, png, psd, or tiff format
The submitted images will be evaluated anonymously by a jury comprised of at least ten (10) persons recognized for their competence in the fields of photography, STEM, STEM education or scientific communication.
A People Choice Award will be selected through a voting process on social media.
If the number of entries is large, MILSET may conduct a pre-judging screening.
Entries will be judged on:
- Originality: creativity of the image and/or photographic technique
- Informational Content: effectiveness at communicating the phenomenon or concept
- Technical proficiency: focus, composition, depth of field, image processing
- Artistic and Visual Impact: aesthetic quality, visual and emotional appeal
Publication rights and copyright
- If your entry is selected by MILSET as a winning image, you give MILSET non-exclusive irrevocable, worldwide rights to use your name and the image in connection with the competition as MILSET sees fit.
- You certify and warrant that you hold the rights to grant such permission and agree to hold MILSET harmless in any disputes that arise out of image ownership/rights.
- Image copyright remains the property of the contestant even though permission to use the image is given to MILSET.
- MILSET agrees to identify the image’s creator in all publications and presentations of the image.
- By submitting an image to the competition, contestants agree to abide by the competition’s official rules.
- I acknowledge that all decisions of competition organizers about any aspect of the competition, including eligibility or disqualification, are final and cannot be appealed.
For more information
Please contact email@example.com