Open your eyes to science!
Taking a camera, and shooting a picture is an easy deal. What about going further? What about using photos to discover science?
From a water drop to a rainbow, from a bubble to a geyser, from smoke to light, from microscopy to astronomy, everywhere, we are facing scientific phenomena. MILSET aims to give you an opportunity to freeze them for eternity!
When Art meets Science
The MILSET STEAM Photo Contest (SPC) aims at creating a leeway for youth to creatively express what they observe within science, in photos.
Goals and Objectives
- Engage youth in science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics (STEAM) by:
- Exploring visual aspects of STEAM through the art and science of photography
- Capturing photos to demonstrate and communicate STEAM concepts and phenomena
- Applying STEAM techniques to the capture of digital photos.
- Build a collection of STEAM photos by youth from around the world to be used by MILSET and its member organisations.
- This year 2023, MILSET is focusing its activities on SPACE matters, so the MILSET STEAM Photo Contest opens the call to all participants to show their passion for SPACE capturing and explaining the science behind those pictures.
- SPACE includes stars, sky, moons, planets, eclipses
- But in case your passion is in other matters, the MILSET STEAM Photo contest is ready to receive your photos too and to learn together about science and technology around us.
- Youth between the ages of 13 and 25 as of [ July 31, 2023] are eligible.
- MILSET global and regional offices’ staff, contest judges and their immediate family members cannot submit photos.
- Each contestant may submit a maximum of three photos for judging. An internet entry form must be completed
- Any photo that demonstrates communicates or explains a scientific, technological, engineering, or mathematical concept or phenomenon is eligible.
- The internet entry form requires the contestant to describe briefly the concept or phenomenon associated with each photo in English.
- Photos must be the sole work of the contestant.
- Photographs capturing faces are not allowed due to the General Data Protection law.
- Photos must be captured using a digital camera – photos created by any software are not allowed
- Processing, including cropping and adjustments to correct or enhance exposure or colours, is acceptable; the addition, removal, or distortion of significant content is not permitted.
- Photos must not include a watermark or descriptive text.
All photos and the Online Registration Form must be submitted for the 2023 edition by no later than July 31, 2023.
- Name and surname
- Date of Birth
- City and Country
- Email address
- Title (in English, maximum of 60 characters)
- Brief plain language (only in English) description of the science concept or phenomena depicted in the photo. The explanation should be understandable for youth/students and the public. (Maximum 300 characters)
- Colour or grayscale
- Minimum resolution: 2000 pixels wide
- Maximum file size: 10MB
- jpeg, png, psd, or tiff format
The submitted photos will be evaluated anonymously by a jury comprised of at least ten (10) persons recognised for their competence in the fields of photography, STEAM education, or scientific communication to obtain the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.
If the number of entries is significant, MILSET may conduct a pre-judging screening.
Entries will be judged on:
- Originality: creativity of the photo and/or photographic technique
- Informational content: effectiveness at communicating the phenomenon or concept
- Technical proficiency: focus, composition, depth of field, Photo processing
- Artistic and Visual Impact: aesthetic quality, visual and emotional appeal
Also, a People Choice Award will be selected through the best 15 photos in a voting process on MILSET social media platforms, selected the 3 most voted to receive a certificate and to be part of the MILSET SPC Gallery during the MILSET Expo-Sciences International, ESI 2023
A maximum of 3 photos will be selected by the jury will receive awards:
- First place: A gift certificate of 250 € and a digital achievement certificate
- Second & Third place: An annual subscription to National Geographic magazine with an estimated cost of 50 USD and a digital achievement certificate
- The best 10 photos (including the winners) will be displayed in:
- A Printed exhibition in the OMP - Observatoire Midi-Pyrénées- Touluse, France
- The Museum of the Astronomical Observatory of the Pic du Midi de Bigorre, France (at 2. 876 meters of altitude, with 150,000 international tourists every year)
- In the MILSET SPC Virtual gallery on the MILSET website.
- Best photos will be part of the MILSET Journal of Science Engagement (JOSE).
Publication rights and copyright
- If your entry is selected as a winning photo(s), you give MILSET non-exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide rights to use your name and the photo(s) in connection with the competition as MILSET sees fit.
- You certify and warrant that you hold the rights to grant such permission and agree to hold MILSET harmless in any disputes that arise out of photo ownership/rights.
- Photo copyright remains the property of the contestant even though permission to use the photo is given to MILSET.
- MILSET agrees to identify the photo’s creator in its publications.
- By submitting a photo to the MILSET STEAM Photo Contest, contestants agree to abide by the competition’s official rules. I acknowledge that all decisions of competition organisers about any aspect of the competition, including eligibility or disqualification, are final and cannot be appealed.
For more information
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
MILSET SPC Rules
Download the file to learn more.
Parental / Guardian consent
This form is only if the participant is under 18 years old.